One of the methods of determining an organisations approach to its business is to evaluate its workplace organisation capability & visual management standards.
5S engages people through the use of 'Standards' and ‘Discipline'.
It is not just about housekeeping, but concentrating on maintaining the standards & discipline to manage the organisation - all achieved by upholding & showing respect for the Gemba [workplace] every day.
The 5 Steps are as follows:
- Sort: Sort out & separate that which is needed & not needed in the area.
- Straighten: Arrange items that are needed so that they are ready & easy to use. Clearly identify locations for all items so that anyone can find them & return them once the task is completed.
- Shine: Clean the workplace & equipment on a regular basis in order to maintain standards & identify defects.
- Standardise: Revisit the first three of the 5S on a frequent basis and confirm the condition of the Gemba using standard procedures.
- Sustain: Keep to the rules to maintain the standard & continue to improve every day.
Benefits of 5S workplace organisation
5S relates to workplace organisation and forms a solid foundation upon which many organisations base their drive for continuous improvement. It is equally applicable & successful in all sectors helping to achieve high impact results.
It is a systematic and methodical approach allowing teams to organise their workplace in the safest and most efficient manner.
The discipline to check & repair equipment is included & adopted. The entire process is managed through the use of team generated audit documents, completed on an agreed frequency by responsible owners within the Gemba.
- Improved safety
- 5S becomes a fundamental business measure & key driver for Kaizen
- Forms a solid foundation upon which to build continuous improvement
- Employees gain a sense of ownership, involvement & responsibility
- Reduction in waste – as defined by Ohno’s seven forms of waste
- Improved performance in productivity, quality & morale leads to increased profitability
Kaizen Institute Sudan
PO Box 134934
House no 23, Square 25,
El Manshia, Khartoum,
Phone 0900904953, 0900904054, 0126965802, 0912307245
MENA Regional Operations
PO Box 37448,
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Phone: +971551495600; +966506356776
North / Latin America
7137 East Rancho Vista Drive B11
Scottsdale, AZ 85251 USA
Tel: +1 888 464 3622
Kabuto-cho Dai-ichi Bldg, 3F
5-1 Nihonbashi Kabuto-cho
Chuo-ku, Tokyo 103-0026
Tel: +81 (0) 3 5847 8245
Fax: +81 (0) 3 5747 7901
|Add as many pictures to the cell bellow|